Mukkala Pulusu/ Dappalam/ Bellam Pulusu
- Koorakaya mukkalu/ Mixed Vegetables - 3 cups, cubed
- (Pumpkin, Bottle gourd/ Sorakaya/ Anapakaya,
- Drumsticks, Sweet potato, Lady’s finger, zucchini,
- Carrot, chow chow, radish, brinjal, potato,
- Thota kura, coconut pieces etc)
- Small Onion - 10-12
- Tomatoes - 2, medium sized
- Green Chillies - 3, slit lengthwise
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Sambar Powder - ½ tsp
- Rice flour/Besan - 2 tbsps
- Tamarind paste - 2 tbsps
- Jaggery/ Sugar - 1 tbsps, more or less
- Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves
To Temper/ Popu/Tadka/Talimpu
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Minna pappu/Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Dry red Chillies - 2, broken into two
- Jeelakara/ Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Menthulu / Fenugreek seeds - ½ tsp
- Garlic - 2 cloves, crushed
- Curry Leaves - 1-2 sprigs
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Oil for tempering
Clean all the vegetables, onion, tomatoes and cut into cubes. Slit green chillies.
If you are adding lady’s finger fry a little in oil and keep it aside.
In a vessel, pour a liter of water, vegetables, onions, green chillies and turmeric powder.
Add tomatoes, bellam, tamarind paste and salt, once the vegetables has been half cooked. Simmer down the flame, while its starts boiling.
The vegetables should not become very soft.
Mix rice flour/ Besan in ½ cup of water and slowly pour in the pulusu.
Heat oil a frying pan, add mustard seeds, and wait till it crackles. Add cumin seeds, urad dal, menthulu, red chillies, asafoetida & fry a minute. Add curry leaves & switch off the flame.
Mix this in the pulusu.
Let it blend with the pulusu and be in low flame for 6-8 minutes.
Garnish with fresh coriander and keep covered for 10 mts before serving.
Serve with hot steamed rice, muddha pappu and vadiyallu/ appadam.
To roast and Grind
- Senagapappu/ Channa Dal - 2 tbsps
- Minnapa pappu/split black gram dal - 2 tbsps
- Dry Red chillies - 3
- Coriander seeds - 2 tbsps
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Menthulu/Fenugreek seeds - ¼ tsp
- Nuvullu/ sesame seeds - 1 tsp (optional)
- If you have time you can dry roast the above ingredients and grind it.Add the ground paste after the raw smell of tamarind goes off. Mix thoroughly and cook for another 8-10 minutes. Reduce the red/green chillies according to the spiciness needed.Do temper and garnish & serve.
- Chopped onions can be added in the popu instead of cooking it with other vegetables.